The Waffly Versatile hat is designed to pair with the Waffly Versatile Cowl (website link). Inspired by the nostalgia of a tea time favourite, this cosy, textured hat knitted with Double Knit yarn is a toasty addition to your winter accessories.
The design uses just knit, purl, yo and k2tog stitches - there is a video tutorial provided for working the ‘yo, k2tog’ stitches.
The hat is knitted in the round, with 4 row repeats so it makes it ideal for social or TV knitting too.
The pattern is written for 2 adult sizes and has the fit of a loose beanie.
The pattern has been professionally tech edited and test knitted prior to publication.
Stitches used: Knit, purl, yo, k2tog
Sizes: Small, Large
The finished measurements for each size are:
• Small: 21” / 53cm in circumference and 7” / 18cm in height
• Large: 22.5” / 57 cm and 7.5” / 19cm in height
Due to the stretch in the ribbing and style of the hat, the large size will comfortably fit a head size of 24” / 61cm plus.
- Double Knitting Yarn. The yarn used in the pattern pictures is Under the Olive Tree Knits 100% Superwash DK Merino, 100g / 3.5oz, 246 yds / 225m per skein. The yarn shown in the pattern pictures is the Alaskan Sky colour. Yardage per size:1 x US size 4 (3.5mm) 16" (40cm) circular needle
- Small – 60g / 2.1oz, 148yds / 135m
- Large – 70g / 2.5oz, 172yds / 158m
- 1 x US size 6 (4mm) 16" (40cm) circular needle
- A set of US size 6 (4mm) double pointed needles
- Stitch Marker
- Tapestry needle for weaving the ends in
21 stitches and 26 rows to 4” / 10cm in stockinette stitch on 4mm needle after blocking
15.5 stitches and 38 rnds to 4” / 10cm on 4mm needles in waffle pattern after blocking.
And here's some feedback from the Test Knitters:
"I really enjoyed doing this hat, it was quick and easy to do, and the final project is really nice. It will now be part of my go to patterns and I am thinking of doing a set for xmas and will do
this hat as part of it. The small size is perfect for teen/ older children" - Aurelie
"This pattern was a lovely weekend project, straightforward to knit and a lovely texture on completion" – Jen
"This beanie is a lovely quick easy TV knit perfect for those cool spring/autumn days" – Cindy
Thanks for reading and until next time, happy knitting! x