New Pattern! The Dancing Flame Socks
The Dancing Flame socks are now available on Ravelry and on the website.
About this Pattern
Set your needles aglow with the Dancing Flame sock pattern! These cute ankle socks are knit from the top down. After working a ribbed cuff you then ignite the stitch pattern with the spark of a yarnover, which grows to a blaze of lace circling the top of the sock.
Once the flames have run their course the rest of the sock becomes a cool breeze of stockinette.
You can easily adjust the leg length to make a longer sock before working the heel flap and gusset, and then continue to the foot.
The Dancing Flame socks are a quick fire knit, sure to keep your feet nice and toasty!
The pattern is written for 3 adult sizes and video tutorials are provided for the stitches and techniques used to make the socks.
Sizes and Measurements
Hand knit socks are designed to be slightly smaller than the foot length to give a small amount of negative ease. This means that they will hug the foot and leg and stay in place. The sizes given are a ‘to fit’ size. The actual socks will be slightly smaller to allow a little stretch for a snug fit.
The sizes given in this pattern are for adult sizes in small, medium and large.
- Small Adult - 8” / 20.5cm foot circumference and at least 8” / 20cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
- Medium Adult - 9” / 23cm foot circumference and at least 9” / 23cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
- Large Adult - 9.75” / 25cm foot circumference and at least 9” / 23cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
Full details on how to take the correct measurements to determine your size are given in the pattern.
The size shown in the pattern photographs is for the small adult.
When choosing the yarn for your socks you want to be looking for a yarn with nylon content or a high twist as this adds extra durability and strength.
- 1 x 3.5oz / 100g, 440 yd / 400m skein of 4ply sock yarn. The yarn used in the pattern is the
- Under the Olive Tree 75% superwash merino / 25% nylon 4ply yarn in the Brick Red colourway
- 1 set of US 1.5 / 2.5mm double pointed needles (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- 1-10 Stitch Markers, depending on whether you want to mark off the lace repeats
- Tapestry Needle
Gauge: 32 stitches and 44 rnds to 4” / 10cm in stockinette stitch after blocking.
The pattern has been professionally tech edited by by Allison O’Mahoney at Kniterations and was tested by a fantastic group of test knitters too!
Thank you Donna, Proby, Kim, Karen, Linda, Sabina and Teresa!
To view more testers photo's take a look at the project pages on Ravelry.
So now that the coolers season is upon us, why not treat your feet to a cozy pair of hand made socks! If you are new to sock knitting then take a look at the Let the Yarn Shine sock pattern, a pattern written for the new sock knitter with step by step photos and links to video tutorials.
Add a comment: