As a knitter I know how busy our schedules can get this time of year and I wanted to gift you this free pattern before things start to get really hectic! These mini stockings are super quick to knit, and make excellent gifts or decorations to hang around the home.
Although the pattern is written and demonstrated using dpn's, you can adapt to knitting them using the magic loop method if you prefer.
If you have never knit a sock or used double pointed needles before then this is the perfect introductory project. The written pattern is fully supported with a step by step video tutorial to guide you through each stage of knitting the stocking, and the video times are annotated so you can skip to the part you want to watch straight away!
The pattern is available by clicking on this link or by visiting https://www.undertheolivetreeknits.com/free-patterns.html
Skills / Techniques Used: Knit, purl, slipped stitches, short rows, decreases
Sizes and Measurements: The finished mini stocking measures 5” / 13cm from the top of the cuff to the bottom of the heel and 4” / 10cm from the back of the heel to the tip of the toe
- Yarn A - For the cuff: 0.25oz / 7g, 13 yd / 12m of Chunky yarn. The yarn used in the pattern photos is Under the Olive Tree 100% Superwash Bluefaced Leicester Chunky in the Snow colourway
- Yarn B - For the stocking: 0.50oz / 14g, 25 yd / 24m of Aran weight yarn. The yarn used in the pattern photos is Under the Olive Tree 100% Superwash Bluefaced Leicester Chunky in the Red Apple colourway
- 1 set of 4mm double pointed needles*
- 1 x 4mm (or close size) crochet hook (optional for making the hanging loop)
- 1 Tapestry Needle
Gauge is not vital to this project but as a guideline the yarn should 20 stitches and 28 rows to 4” / 10cm in stockinette stitch after blocking
Each kit includes:
• 50g of Red Apple and 25g of Snow – Chunky hand-dyed 100% Bluefaced Leicester Wool
• 1 pattern
• Hanging twine
In addition, you will need:
• 1 set of 4mm double pointed needles*
• 1 x 4mm crochet hook or close size (optional for the hanging loop)
• A tapestry needle
*There will be an option to purchase this additional item on your order.
Kits can be purchased by clicking HERE
Until next time, happy knitting! x