About this Pattern
Move over potato waffles – yarn waffles are incoming! Inspired by the nostalgia of a tea time favourite, this cosy, textured cowl knit with DK yarn is sure to keep you warm and toasty.
The cowl is knit in the round, with 4 row repeats so it makes it ideal for social or TV knitting too.
The pattern has options for 16 (yes 16!) different sizes, so you can easily adapt the circumference and the length as you wish. You can choose whichever size will make the most of any DK yarn that you have – the smallest size uses 63g / 2.2oz, 155 yds / 142 metres of DK yarn and the largest, double loop version uses 210 grams / 7.4oz, 517 yds / 473 metres, There are also a choice of sizes for a single skein of 100g / 3.5oz, 246 yds / 225m DK yarn.
And if you have scraps leftover from previous projects you could always make a striped version. It really is Waffly Versatile!
Skills / Techniques used: Knit, purl, yo increases, k2tog, decreases
Sizes: There are 16 different size combinations for this cowl. See the table below for the options available.
Choose your loop circumference measurement from XS to Large and the cowl depth from the table below to determine the yardage and weight required for your option.
- Double Knitting Yarn. Refer to the table above for the amounts required for each size. The yarn used in the pattern pictures is Under the Olive Tree Knits 100% Superwash DK Merino, 100g / 3.5oz, 246 yds / 225m per skein. The yarn shown in the pattern pictures is:
- 1 x US size 6 (4mm) circular needle:
- 20-24” (51-70cm) for the extra small and small sizes
- 32” / 80cm for the medium size
- 40” / 100cm for the large size
- Stitch Marker
- Tapestry needle for weaving the ends in
Gauge: 15.5 stitches and 36 rnds to 4” / 10cm in waffle pattern after blocking
The pattern has been professionally tech edited by by Allison O’Mahoney at Kniterations and was tested by a fantastic group of test knitters too! Thank you Jo, Dari, Clau, Donna and Proby!